- Small Business Website
small business website design
Inevitabl Builds Your Small Business Website & You Focus On Your Customers.
I built my first small business website in 2006. It was fitness-related and a lot of fun to create. It also turned out to be a disaster in terms of being structured the right way to get any visitors let alone clients!
Since that first fitness website, I've built several others inside and outside of fitness, made tons of mistakes, and can now build high-performing websites that attract visitors, engage communities, and support business owners, service providers, and entrepreneurs.
What Subscribers Say About Inevitabl Insights Weekly... ⤵️
Links on the rest of this page may be "affiliate links." If you click on
them and buy, Inevitabl LLC earns a small commission at no cost to you. I
only recommend resources that I know and love and which I
believe will be genuinely useful to you. See my affiliate policy for more information.
I Build All My Sites With The Same Software.
Beginning with that first website in 2006, I've been using the same Solo Build It! software ever since. It combines SEO (search engine optimization), domain name registration and hosting, design elements, newsletter, and email features in one all-inclusive package.
That means that you don't have to go buy your domain name url in one place, then host and build it somewhere else. If you're thinking of using Solo Build It! as a DIY (do-it-yourself) project or if you have Inevitabl do the work for you, don't buy your url first!
If you already own the domain name you'd like to use, you can have it transferred to the Solo Build It! platform, but you'll save yourself some headaches by waiting, and registering the domain name as part of the specialized steps to success.
Here's a Peek At Solo Build It!
As Good As It Is, It Isn't Perfect.
There's a substantial learning curve to using Solo Build It! as there is with anything, I suppose. As an example, if you asked me to create a site using WordPress, Squarespace, or Wix, I'd probably be completely lost. If you're looking for low- or no-cost site-building and you don't mind figuring out those software options, you'll probably be able to build a great site with any of those.
I pay a premium, because I've found significant value in the service, function, and the results.
A Quick Pros And Cons Comparison.
3 Things It Does Well.
- SEO - The search engine optimization is built-in with an impressive function that allows you to create a Master Keyword List (based on supply, demand, and value) and a Blueprint that gives structure to your site. This is where I made mistakes with my earliest sites. I made the best sites with keywords that only about 15 people were searching for and would find. That's not enough to sustain an online business.
- Blockbuilder - Once you've decided on design elements, the creation of a page is mostly a drag-and-drop exercise, done by choosing items like headlines, text, images, and containers. I can't say that this is hugely unique from other web design software options, though is a system I've found to be quick and effective.
- Community - There are 1,000s of other Solo Build It! users who have great presence in the forums, the community area where you can help and be helped by others who have been in your shoes before. If you have a problem, they'll help solve it, or introduce you to someone who can.
3 Things It Could Do Better.
- Email - There's a built-in email service that does give you an address that ends in your domain name (adds to the professional look), but if you're used to GMail or other major providers, you'll feel like you've gone back in time, losing key functions.
- Newsletters - Similar to the email aspect, there are built-in opt-in forms that allow you to stay in touch with subscribers by sending broadcasts and/or creating automated email sequences. But, it's a clunky experience. The developers have focused on what they do really well, and aren't trying to excel in areas that aren't their primary focus. It's similar to picking a niche in business; often better to be a specialist than a generalist.
- Landing Pages - Getting subscribers to one's newsletter is important to any business owner. It's how you stay in touch with interested prospects and existing clients or community members. But, an inefficient experience can turn would-be subscribers away. Not having dedicated landing pages that encourage email opt-ins is a downside.
Solutions To The "Cons" Side Of The List.
Because of the "3 Things It Could Do Better" I've added to my own "tech stack" so that I get the functionality that I want in small business website design and to provide the experience that my visitors, customers, and clients should expect.
I've found ConvertKit to be the solution to the newsletter and landing page woes of the software. For an email upgrade, I use Google Workspace.
Need Your Own Small Business Website?
I love building websites for entrepreneurs and small business owners. Usually, they don't want to spend thousands of dollars for a site that is little more than an online business card. And, they don't have the time to try to figure it all out themselves; they have a business to run and clients to help.
Done For You Options.
The Done For You options (startup and ongoing) listed below require that you invest in Solo Build It! and ConvertKit's Creator or Creator Pro subscriptions on your own, ensuring that you have ownership of each and that your subscriptions to these software options are not held through Inevitabl. This way, should you ever want to move to a DIY option or switch to another website developer, the transition will be seamless.
It is not required, but is recommended that you invest in Google Workspace as an upgrade to the email features provided within Solo Build It! We have found that it is best to wait until your site is live before enrolling in this service.
We are not employed by, or affiliated with, either organization, but are happy customers with the knowledge to build with the integration of these services.
We are not graphic designers. We utilize the tools provided through Solo Build It! and ConvertKit solely. For logo or other graphic design, we recommend 99designs.
If you already own a url for your site, please contact us before proceeding with purchase.
Done For You (Startup).
The startup options provide for the initial development of your site, the use of Solo Build It!'s features, and the integration of ConvertKit so that the visitor experience will be a pleasant one. Each advancing option includes additional features or benefits. You are responsible for providing the copywriting for the content of the pages. All three options result in functional sites that your visitors will enjoy and which will support engagement and client acquisition. For any edits or updates following the completion of the startup project, additional fees apply.
Option 1 (Silver).
- Pre-build phone or video consultation.
- 1 image per page
- Landing page opt-in welcome email
- Social sharing feature
One-time payment of $397
Option 2 (Gold).
Everything in Option 1 PLUS:
- 1 additional sequence email
- 2 images per page
- Post-build phone or video call review
One-time payment of $497
Option 3 (Platinum).
Everything in Option 2 PLUS:
- 2 additional sequence emails
- 3 images per page
- Business strategy call
One-time payment of $997
You must have invested in subscriptions to Solo Build It! and ConvertKit Creator or Creator Pro before we are able to provide service for any of our Done For You Small Business Website services.
Frequently Asked Questions.
How is a domain name picked?
The keyword search feature of Solo Build It! allows for the discovery and selection of a name that might be fitting for your site's url. It is not uncommon that two site addresses are selected (only one is included with your investment in SBI and the second may be reserved for an additional fee). The first might be the site's url, and the second can act as a DBA (doing business as) name, redirecting to the site itself. We will review these options with you as we conduct the keyword optimization.
How long does this take?
We're typically able to have brand new sites created in 7 days or less. If you are transferring your ownership of a url from one domain to Solo Build It!'s hosting, the process is dependent upon when the transfer is complete. In these instances, it may be of interest to create a brand new site and to use a redirect from the original domain to the new one.
What if I already own a site and url?
You might elect to invest in Solo Build It! and request a transfer of your url through their support. This is not usually instantaneous and may cause delays.
A second option is to invest in Solo Build It! where a second domain name might be established. Upon your site going live, you can elect to redirect traffic from the original site to the new site.
My existing site has lots of pages - can these all be transferred over to the new site?
The 8 site pages listed in the package(s) above are those that we create for clients. Additional pages may be added on for an additional fee.
If I've enrolled in Done For You Ongoing Support and would like to cancel, how do I do this?
Our Done For Your Ongoing Support is a recurring billing service at an investment of $99/quarter. Should you wish to cancel this support, you may do so by sending an email with your request or by using the update your preferences/billing links within our email communications with you. Upon receipt of your request, your future billing will be discontinued.
Have a question that you don't see answered here? Ask it in our general questions area. We'll add it (and the answer) as a page on our site, as part of our FAQ on this page, or will email you directly with an answer (so long as you provide your contact information) if the question is unique to your situation alone.
Done For You (Ongoing).
The ongoing option is for those entrepreneurs or business owners who want continued website support. Through this service, provided through a recurring quarterly subscription, we will make edits or updates to your site. These will include the editing of one existing page per month, and the addition of one new content page per month. You are responsible for providing the content for these pages.
Done For You Ongoing Support.
Recurring payments of $99/quarter.
Available following initial investment in a Done For You (Startup) package.
For technical questions outside of our specialty area(s), your
subscriptions to Solo Build It! and ConvertKit will allow you to
interact with representatives from their support teams. As a reminder,
we are not employed by either organization, and provide our services
outside of any official, professional relationship with these
DIY (Do It Yourself).
If you want to go the do-it-yourself route, I recommend following these 3 steps:
- Invest in Solo Build It!'s monthly or annual subscription.
- Invest in your choice of ConvertKit plan.
- Follow the Solo Build It! 10-Day Action Guide to the letter.
To Your Small Business Website Design Success.
We're looking forward to helping you craft the website you've envisioned in support of your small business success.
David Bohmiller, MBA, MS (he/him/his)
Founder, CEO and Consulting Executive
Did You Enjoy This Content? Share It On Social Media.
Help us spread the word about our site and small business website design services by sharing it with your friends, fans, or followers.
Click on the icon(s) below for your preferred social media platform and
share away. Thank you!
Book Your Discovery Session. 🗓️
Find Out If We're A Good Fit For Your Coaching Or Consulting Needs By Scheduling A Free 30-Minute Discovery Session.
Need a time other than what's available? Contact us.